Date:      Fri, 24 May 2013 15:38:45 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        "Welcome, Traiano" <welcomet@amazon.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Writing a (BSD like) Operating Systems From Scratch

"Welcome, Traiano" wrote:
> Hi All
> I've been read thousands of pages of FreeBSD and Linux Kernel source code and books on the internals of BSD and Linux over the years in attempt to develop a complete understanding of operating systems (or at least, UNIX like ones). However, I feel that I'm as mystified as to the finer details as when I first started. So I've concluded that the best way to really understand the deep dark details of UNIX is to try and write one from scratch (using the general guidelines of standards like POSIX etc ...), and maybe taking a peek at BSD and Linux from time to time. My questions around this are:

Sorry, but your questions & text (see mega line above, no folds ! Ugh) tell me

	A) You dont know enough, & would be better working with an existing
	   project, be it a BSD Linux Minix Sprite Mach whatever. Maybe
	   also doing some formal training in OSs eg a Uni. degree
	   in computing or whatever.

	B) You havent realised technology is moving faster & with ever more
	   more people working on OSs & tools, its like looking in
	   from the edge of an exploding galaxy & trying to understand
	   all within: by the time you do, its grown !

	C) If people devoted tons of time over years to help you along,
	   it would be their & your time wasted to achieve anothernice
	   OS time that would be better spent if you & they worked
	   together on improving an existing OS - see (A) above.

Sorry it's not what you want to hear but modern OS are too big for
1 man, & evolving too fast, even those called Jollitz Tannenbaum or
Linus, got replaced/ supplemented by Teams. Choose a project team & an
aspect/ technology within the team, & that will be useful not a waste of time.
	Some OS's http://berklix.com/free/

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".