Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:14:45 -0400
From:      leckert <leckert@neo.rr.com>
To:        burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: install of FreeBSD 4.3 hangs

burningclown@westhost43.westhost.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I received my 4.3 CD set a few days ago ... have been waiting to place it
> 'next to' my Debian GNU/Linux installation for weeks now ... fwiw, I am
> new to FreeBSD.
>
> Preparation (resizing partitions, etc) went flawlessly, but I have twice
> had the install hang interminably when trying to install
> XFree86-Server-4.0.3_1. Here is what I get:
>
> "Adding packages/All/XFree86-Server-4.0.3_1.tgz from acd0c"
>
> "Package XFree86-Server-4.0.3_1 read successfully - waiting for
> pkg_add(1)"
>
> ... the second time this happened I just let it sit all night in the hopes
> that something was just taking a long time. No dice.

I can only add that this happened to me also. I even tried to add the
offending package by ftp and it hung. So I ended up tracking down and
using X-3.3.6- not what I wanted but at least I have X. So it's not just
your CD. I am also watching for answers to your questions, and I also
did not know about the F2 screen, thanks to whoever added that piece of
info. All I can say is that  I am sorry that I cannot help you directly,
but that I am thankful for those that are so helpful on this list,
because in my case I have decided that I like FreeBSD so well that it is
a keeper at my house, I'll just have to learn the new terminology and
diferrences from my linux habits.

--
kometboy  	   kometboy@neo.rr.com  (Debian GNU/Linux)
	           leckert@neo.rr.com       (FreeBSD)