Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:35:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Chrisy Luke <chrisy@flix.net>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4,7 Kernel panic

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Chrisy Luke wrote:

> Donn Miller wrote (on Oct 13):
> > So the error is in the probe/attach routines.  Correct in that the fatal
> > trap only occurs on certain machines.  On my laptop, the kernel bombs
> > immediately after the EISA bus is probed.  For example:
> >
> > eisa0:  <EISA bus> *BOMB*
>
> I commented out the EISA code in nexus_attach(), and my 4.7-S boots
> fine:
>
> #if 0
>         if (!devclass_get_device(devclass_find("eisa"), 0)) {
>                 child = device_add_child(dev, "eisa", 0);
>                 if (child == NULL)
>                         panic("nexus_attach eisa");
>                 device_probe_and_attach(child);
>         }
> #endif

I saw a related post on Google, dating back to 2000.  It was the same
deal, except it was bombing out on the ISA bus probe.  The guy's solution
was to substitute nexus_add_child for device_add_child, although that
sounds like an ugly hack, and it's probably wrong.

FWIR, I never saw the "on motherboard" message printed; I only saw the
"eisa0:  <EISA bus>" before the fatal trap occured.  I know it's possible to
step through the entire probe/attach routines after doing "boot -d", but it got
a little tedious.  Too many low-level asm statements to step through.