Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:15:24 +0100 (CET)
From:      Frans ter Borg <frans@quanza.net>
To:        Andrew Houghton <aah@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to secure telnet?

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Andrew Houghton wrote:

> I have a server for shell accounts, and up to now the only way people
> have been able to access it is via SSH.  One of the users is leaving for
> a year-long, round-the-world jaunt.
>
> SSH is pretty much out of the question for him -- if he can find an
> internet cafe in some of the places he's going, he won't be able to
> install new software, it would probably take years just to download a
> client over a 56K link, etc. etc.
>
> I'd like to support him by making telnet available to him.  Any thoughts
> on the best/most secure way to do this?

I've just come from a year round the world (eastern and southern africa,
india, southeast asia). There's many places that are a pain if it comes to
shell-sessions, since latencies are just too high.

If the shell account is mainly for e-mail, forwarding to a hotmail/yahoo
account has worked pretty well for me... There's places with decent
connectivity, I used those to download putty and get myself organised on
the shell (organise my mail in pine-folders) front again... both hotmail
and yahoo allow you to set Reply-to if I'm not mistaken.

Frans