Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 23:49:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scheduling queues in FreeBSD

:Hi,
:	I'm using FreeBSD-2.2.6. It seems that the scheduler maintains
:more than 1 queue for process scheduling - whichqs, whichrtqs, ... Can someone
:please tell me the significance of all these queues. Also which processes
:go in which queues. Thanks,
:
:
:- Mohit

    The scheduler has a notion of an 'idle', 'normal', and 'realtime'
    process queue.  Unless you do something explicitly, all processes on the
    system are going to be on the 'normal' queue.  i.e. 'whichqs'.

    The 'idle' and 'realtime' queues were hacked in I don't know when, but
    they don't work very well... there are a number of situations that can
    cause machine lockups.  Frankly, I'd like to see both ripped out completely
    and a better solution put in later on.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>