Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 01:03:55 -0500
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        gnn@neville-neil.com
Cc:        FreeBSD ports list <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Your grip problems...

OK, I know grip fairly well (I run my own version with about 10 of my own
patches on it...). First off, on FBSD, grip doesn't do a lot with the CD
drive. It uses the ioctl interface to do CDDA-type control things, but that's
all. From your message, I infer you're not trying to rip using grip, just
play a CD.

So ...

1. Do you have the CAM driver (device pass) in the kernel? If not, then
rebuild a new kernel with that one included.
2. Perms on /dev/cd0c? (That's the one you want, not cd0a.)
3. Have you tried with multiple audio CDs?
4. Does it eventually come up with a track listing, or just hang?
5. You might want to use "strace -p <pid>" when it's stuck, just to see what
it is actually doing.
6. Any other CD player work for you?

I'm CC'ing to freebsd-ports, since I think that's probably the best place for
this.

FWIW, I have 2 Plextor SCSI CD drives (one CDROM, one CDRW), hanging off an
Adaptec 2930CU, and grip works beautifully.

--
Alan Eldridge
#include <cstdlib>