Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:40:08 +0100
From:      Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Framebuffer driver?

Graham Wheeler wrote:

> Antony T Curtis wrote:
> >
> > I've written a VESA framebuffer XFree86 3.3.6 driver - it uses the VESA
> > SysCons KLD.
>
> This is presumably unrelated to the Xfree86 4.0 framebuffer driver?

Kinda related. AFAIK, XF86-4 only has a fbcons backend support for
Linux, (I have received an email from the XFree86 group asking if I had
the time to port my XF86-3 driver to XF86-4)

> > FreeBSD also has a VESA framebuffer console driver (which I am also
> > using on my Compaq notebook) but the font it uses and how it's
> > configured only gives you an 80 column display - I'm sure it wouldn't be
> > hard to modify it...
>
> Is this syscons itself, or some other replacement driver, that you're
> referring to?

This is syscons. There are extra options when compiling a kernel if you
want the console to use VESA graphics mode.

> On a completely different note, what sort of touch pad do you have, and
> do you have any problems with it?

I have a Toshiba Satalite Pro which uses a trackpoint-like PS/2 device
which is part of the keyboard. I haven't had any problems with it other
than that it only has 2 buttons.

Another notebook which I have used was a Dual which had a touchpad. That
worked great, especially as it looked like a 3 button PS/2 mouse.

--
ANTONY T CURTIS                     Tel: +44 (1635) 36222
Abacus Polar Holdings Ltd           Fax: +44 (1635) 38670