Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:15:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   maxuser, table full, and Saint's tcpscan

I was trying to do some diagnostics using Saint and when the tcp_scan
program kicked in I would get 100's of lines of

Jun 11 10:13:30 board66 /kernel: file: table is full
Jun 11 10:13:30 board66 syslogd: /var/run/utmp: Too many open files in system

So I recompiled my 2.2.8 kernel with:

maxusers        100
options         CHILD_MAX=128
options         OPEN_MAX=128

and rebooted.

Now when I run saint, tcp_scan just core dumps.

So I poked around in the source and found that there is a buffer
overflow on a select.  (it's not checking FD_SETSIZE.)  I found that I
could successfully run tcp_scan using the -l option to limit the
number of open sockets (i.e. add "-l $fw_loadlimit" to line 46 in
tcpscan.saint).

Anyone familiar with these issues?  If not, well, let this be a data
point for anyone else who has the same problem.

I'll send an email to the developers, too.

cheers,
-david.