Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:46:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote...
> In message <199912102115.OAA25113@harmony.village.org>, Warner Losh writes:
>
> >: The ATA driver went golden now, and to make sure nobody is distracted
> >: from testing it before 4.0-RELEASE is cut, the wd driver will be
> >: removed.
> >:
> >: It's really that simple.
> >
> >Isn't that unprecidented?  In the past there has always been a period
> >of shakeout between the two events longer than a couple of days.
>
> Well, the only precedent we have is CAM/SCSI, and it was done the
> same way.

I don't think you should look at the CAM integration as a precendent for
the current ATA situation.

We had a switchover from the old SCSI layer to CAM instead of a transition
because it would have been much more difficult to have both SCSI layers in
the tree at the same time.

In the case of the ATA code, both it and the wd driver have existed in the
tree for quite a while, apparantly without problems.  So I don't think
there is a real parallel there.

IMO, if the ATA driver supports all the chipsets that the wd driver does,
then it's probably okay to throw the switch to get people testing the new
driver.  If it doesn't, though, I think we should wait on throwing the
switch until it supports them all.  Unlike the CAM case, there isn't a
compelling reason to throw the switch before the new code supports every
chipset.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry