Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:20:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hang during install (probing devices) Dell Dimension XPS P90 (pentium), Western Digital Caviar 21000

We were recently trying to install FreeBSD onto one of our test servers, a
Dell Pentium 90 (Dimension XPS P90), and had repeated problems with
sysinstall/kernel hangs when "Probing for devices".  It would appear to
boot the kernel fine and correctly discover hardware, but when sysinstall
popped up its dialog about probing devices, most system functions would
hang.  The num lock key still changed the keyboard light, but no scroll
back occured with scroll lock, or changing of vt's.  This was with both
FreeBSD 3.1 and 3.2 release versions.  We recently tracked it down to
being a problem with the Western Digital Caviar 21000 drive in the
machine, as we moved the drive to another machine, and it also hung on
that machine where it had not previously.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this problem--we can use
the Dell fine now (well, sans CDROM drive because FreeBSD seems not to
like the IDE ATAPI drive) with a new hard disk, but the old hard disk
hangs the install on all the machines we've tried.  Any thoughts on why a
particular hard disk would hang FreeBSD's probe?  BSD/OS 3.x installs and
boots in the machine fine.

  Robert N M Watson

TIS Labs at Network Associates, Computing Laboratory at Cambridge University
Safeport Network Services