Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 14:45:45 +0300
From:      Alexey Lukin <al@cn.ua>
To:        ada@bsd.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD in embeded systems?

Hi!

Ada wrote:

> ? I'm going to make FreeBSD booting from PCMCIA Flash card. Goal is
> ? FreeBSD-based diskless router with
> ? serial console and a lot of various network interfaces.

I mean not only IP routers but control devices, networked controllers,
etc.

> As has been said on -hackers, there are IDE-like fllash cards.
> a friend of mine has built a bsd/os based router using one.
> I have bcc'ed this to him to see if he wishes to contribute.

Well, it's a good "first step" solution for router but it has 2 main
drawbacks for embeded systems in general:

1) kernel gets biger with IDE drivers, and 2) booting time gets
unacceptable for embeded systems.
Imagine systen with watchdog timer: it should be ready after hardware
reset in a very short time, but
BIOS and kernel "thinks" appr 60-80 sec on IDE devices. Too long for my
applications.

Well, yet another little silly thing - fsck on real filesystem. It may
wait for maintainer forever :-)

So, tiny ISA board with watchdog timer, termometer  and flashfile is
more acceptable then IDE flash card or even simple flash memory like
"Intel Flash 2" in standard PCMCIA controller.
Bootblock flash like 28F008 can be used to put boot code in the right
place, where BIOS cheks for ROM boot blocks.

All I shold do to make FreeBSD work with such card is re-write boot
code.

I think that RAM disk  should be used for root filesystem,
and gziped images of it stored in flash memory. It allows to have
different versions/configurations and easy
boot-time config selection.

This solution has drawback too: non-standard hardware, so I should
develop all boot code and maintain it by myself.
But I'm so lazy :-)

Yet another problem with FreeBSD in embeded systems: gziped kernel and
binaries
are not supported as standard feature. Well, it's not a big deal, but
flash chips are expensive yet.

And what about real-time applicatios like control systems? AFIK, there's
no such project for FreeBSD.
Well, Linux has it all, but I like BSD :-)

OK, guys, is all this stuff worth of discussion at least? :-)

Any comments?

Best regards,
Alex.