Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 07:35:36 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "Rick Hamell" <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache

I had what sounds exactly the same problem a while back .... hours & hours
of tearing hair out later I stumbled across the solution. For some reason
beyond me, the default data directory in apache points to a symlink, &
apparently that is critical and must be left intact even though httpd.conf
points to the actual data files elsewhere. I'd deleted that inadvertently
without realizing it was critical, hence the error 404. Maybe someone more
knowledgable than me understands more about the issue .... as always there
isn't anything obvious in the docs about the symlink. I "borrowed" a number
of httpd.confs without making the slightest difference ... it was only by
reinstalling Apache completely that the problem was resolved.