Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:07:38 -0500
From:      "Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM" <tforrest@mcs.net>
To:        "David Kelly" <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dynamic DNS updates with DHCPd/client

Hi David - thanks for the reply

I dont (or want) to use the auto update system.  Typically I keep my
addresses for weeks and months on end.  To get my IP information from
my provider I use the stock dhclient.  However, I do run DHCPd on my
internal net to provide my local systems with DHCP.

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:50:20 -0600, David Kelly wrote:

>I use the standard dhclient which is part of the FreeBSD default
>installation. Look for my other posting of a few minutes ago with the
>subject: Re: How to use simple firewall with DHCP?
>
>There is a short example there I think will re-run /etc/rc.firewall
>and invoke ddup (DynDNS Updater) at the proper times.
>
>Normally my IP address is static enough that I don't automatically
>invoke ddup. In fact the past several months I've used Netscape both
>times to update my entry at DynDNS, first when I created it, then
>yesterday when I changed ISP's. The new ISP is more aggressive with
>only 2 hour leases.
>

>--
>David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net
>The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
>capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM -  tforrest@mcs.net
http://www.mcs.net/~tforrest
And now, its time, for some useless, bandwidth wasting words of wisdom:
Suicidal Twin Kills Sister By Mistake!

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: E1FD 1327 D9D6 3D9A  6D5E 21CF 902D 41FC