Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:25:54 +0200
From:      Markus Gebert <markus.gebert@hostpoint.ch>
To:        alc@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 8.1-RC2 - PCI fatal error or MCE triggered by USB/ehci on Sun X4100M2?

<markus.gebert@hostpoint.ch> wrote:
> [snip]
>=20
> Yes, this hardware comes from Sun directly, but getting Sun (/Oracle) =
support for this issue is gonna be tough. FreeBSD is unsupported, and in =
a short test we couldn't reproduce the problem with a Linux kernel. =
While I agree that a hardware issue has always been and still is a =
possibility to be considered, the fact that we tested this on two =
machines remains as well as the fact that 6.x, 7.x do not show the =
behavior. Another possibility is of course, that the X4100 is prone to =
such issues and somehow 6.x and 7.x have workarounds we're not aware of =
or just do something different in way so that this issue does not get =
triggered.
>=20
>=20
> 8.1 is our first release to have the driver for configuring and =
reporting machine check exceptions enabled by default.  Prior to 8.1, =
you had to explicitly enable the driver at boot time.

I was aware of that, but I don't think that it might be the cause. =
Disabling MCA just makes the reporting go away, but the MCE and =
subsequent fatal trap remain. With default BIOS settings, the OS does =
not even get a chance to panic, the system just forces a reset before =
the OS could do anything. And, as far as I can tell, that did not happen =
on previous stable branches.

Don't know though wether MCA changes the situation even when disabled in =
loader.conf (hw.mca.enabled=3D0). I just checked our 7.2 setup, and MCA =
does not seem to be in an 7.2 kernel, so I guess this was added to 8.0 =
and activated by default in 8.1. To be honest, we did not check, wether =
8.0 shows the same behavior, but I guess running 8.1 with =
hw.mca.enabled=3D0 should pretty much give the same situation as far as =
MCA is concerned.

Is there a way to get rid of MCA completely? (as opposed to just =
"turning it off" via loader.conf)

Markus