Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:56:27 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Nathan J. Yoder" <njyoder@gummibears.nu>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sound blaster AWE64 not working correctly

> I am having trouble getting my PnP ISA Sound Blaster AWE64 working
> correctly.

> in my kernel config file:
> device pcm
> device sbc
> # note, I have tried manually changing the sonud card settings for sbc,
> # but freebsd detected the ones above automatically, and overrode the ones
> # in the kernel config

I experienced the same behaviour, those ISA settings are valid until the
manual config phase of the boot procedure (you're able to verify this
when booting with -c flag) and then are overwritten by the driver. Until
now I didn't get an answer how to change this behaviour (for really
manual assigning IRQs, which I normally prefer.)
The problem for my system was, that the BIOS assigned IRQ 9 to USB.
Until I added USB support into the kernel, FreeBSD hadn't noticed this
already occupied IRQ and chose to place the AWE on IRQ 9. After
including kernel support for USB everything went nice. (AWE then on IRQ
10)
So check for any IRQ problems of devices not recognized by your kernel.

Ciao
Siegbert