Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:12:55 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@columbus.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats is this? FBSD 4.1 isn't stable!

John Baldwin wrote:
> On 20-Sep-00 O. Hartmann wrote:
> > not happen! I think not to have faulty hardware, because this server runs now
> > for about 2 and a half year without any hardware fault!
>
> So?  Hardware goes bad.  I.e., it works fine for a while, and then
> *wham* it breaks one day.  In fact, your hardware could have already been
> somewhat marginal to begin with, and the stress of making world may have
> caused something to overheat and cause the hardware to break, esp. memory
> or CPU.  Bad memory and CPU's often cause Sig 11's.

To add my $.02 to this. We generally consider hardware suspect after 2
years of heavy use (servers, for example) simply because it's seen
17000 hours of use. Equipment does wear out, and depending on the
actual usage, a 2 year old server can easily be scrap (especially when
it's plugged into the same circuit as the air conditioning ... stupid
clients - I didn't say that!)

-Bill