Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:52:55 -0400
From:      Alexander Matey <matey@cis.ohio-state.edu>
To:        Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@stmail.pace.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kld-aureal -- broken?

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 03:31:10PM -0400, Jonathan Slivko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a relatively new FreeBSD user (I just installed FreeBSD 4.3-RC3) and tried to compile the port that is supposed to support my soundcard. However, I can't find the file to compile in order to get the files that are given in the documentation. Hence, my sound doesn't work. I have a Turtle Beach Montego II A3D card. I have gotten OSS to work under FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE. However, I can't get it to work under FreeBSD 4.3-RC3 (release date: April 10th, 2001). Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how to proceed, or give me the link to the actual source code with Makefiles so I can compile it myself from source? I would really appreciate anything that you can do to help. -- Thanks.

First and foremost - ignore the README that's included with the driver
tarball. It's outdated (I will make sure it gets removed with the next
update). You don't actually need to unpack and poke around it yourself.

Second - if you could be more specific about the "files that you can't
find" etc, it would allow me to promptly resolve any problems you have.

Now, I'm assuming you do have the kernel sources under /usr/src/sys ?
If you do, all that's left is to do the following as root:

1) cd /usr/ports/audio/aureal-kmod
2) make deinstall clean install
3) cp /usr/local/etc/rc.d/aureal.sh.sample /usr/local/etc/rc.d/aureal.sh
4) possibly making any modifications to aureal.sh to fit your taste
5) sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/aureal.sh start

If you have any problems doing 2), please post the _entire_ and _complete_
output from make that you're getting, including all error messages. Same
for any other step that fails to work for you.

--
lx