Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 00:14:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Steve Sizemore <steve@ferdinand.ucsf.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiboot linux + freebsd on two drives

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Steve Sizemore wrote:

> > What kind of errors do you get?  There are two boot loaders, the small
> > one that gives you the boot:  (not literaly, I hope!  :)  and the
> > "loader" which counts down the seconds for you.
>
> The error message is a beep. I get the list of selections, press
> F5 for "other disk" and then a new list of selections - F1 for
> FreeBSD, F5 for other disk. F5 takes me back to the first disk
> (containing linux), but F5 simply beeps. (That's why I think the problem
> is with boot1 or boot2.)

This means BootEasy (boot0) isn't finding boot1.  Either it isn't
there at all, or it's looking in the wrong place for it.

> My current hypothesis is that boot0 is working, but either can't
> find, or can't load, boot1 from /dev/da1s1. Anyone know how to
> test this?

I believe your hypothesis is correct.  It sounds like you already have
a running system, so you can check if boot1 is indeed where it should
be.  This is the first 512 bytes of your /dev/da1s1 ("less -f", or
"hd", or....)  It should be identical to the /boot/boot1 file.

If that looks OK, then boot0 must be looking for boot1 in the wrong
place (it uses the partition table in the MBR.)  This is typicaly a
geometry problem with IDE drives, but you seem to be using SCSI
drives, which all have pretty much the same geometry.  Hmmm...

-Paul.