Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:07:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@uol.com.br>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nobody war (was Re: HEADS UP: Apache port change from nobody:nogroup to www:www planned)

Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 07:54:30PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net> writes:
> > > how about setiathome, dnetc and junkbuster which also run as nobody.
> > > setiathome and dnetc own files respectively in /var/db/setiathome and
> > > /usr/local/distributed.net.
> > >
> > > I'm not running it, but squid is probably running as nobody as well since
> > > /usr/local/squid/{logs,cache} are owned by nobody.
> >
> > I am not responsible for other people's broken software.
>
> 	I run squid as squid:squid and http as www:www with no
> problems. I don't understand what's the point of this discussion.
> Since we stablished that running as nobody is not a good thing,
> we should be discussing what to replace it with.
> 	I vote to creating uid:gid for all appropriate services:

I'm all w/ you. how about uid:gid numbering ?

> mail or smtp

which packages use these user names ?

> www

 no comment.

> squid

does it require static uid:gid numbers or follow the postfix dynamic
rule ?

/usr/ports/mail/postfix/pkg-install seem to be a good starting
point to create uid:gid dynamically and is BATCH (aka PACKAGE_BUILDING)
compliant. /usr/ports/mail/qmail/pkg-install is a little bit
complicated but seems to be also BATCH compliant.

could we stated that all packages using user nobody should be
switched to package name uid:gid (such as setiathome -> seti,
dnetc -> dnetc, etc.) and use some sort of script ?

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net