Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 1996 09:13:52 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "H. Jared Agnew" <jagnew@vtaix.cc.vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Etherlink III

> Um, if anyone has setup the etherlink PCMCIA 3com card that is
> supported, will they let me know if there were any problems that you
> over came.  I cant get the laptop to report the card in FreeBSD,
> however it does report that there is a card in the system.

Gee, this is becoming a FAQ. :)

Under FreeBSD 2.1R, the 3C589C (which is a newer model) is not
supported.  This model was released after 2.1R, and a patch to the
driver is now in -current and -stable, but obviously didn't make it into
2.1.  There are a couple of solutions.

- Use a floppy from a newer SNAP.  You can use newer floppies to install
  older releases.

- Use the 'Nomad' boot floppy, which has support for PC-CARD.  Most (not
  all) of this code now exists in -current, but that doesn't help you
  now.  See:
    http://www.mt.cs.keio.ac.jp/person/hosokawa/freebsd-pcmcia/

Nate