Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:19:47 -0600
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        Steve Camp <steve@camp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forum software / hosting

--------------enig4992FD0D074868A88BCA698F

Steve Camp wrote:
> I need to setup a web forum for a friend, and sure could appreciate
> some pointers.
>=20
> Some of my questions/issues include:
>=20
> 1)  Which forum software runs on FreeBSD?
>=20
>     By forum software, I am referring to programs such as=20
>=20
>         o phpBB
> 	o vBulletin by Jelsoft

Just wanted to add my input for forum software. Simple Machines Forum
(SMF) is a great, free, and open source forum system that uses
PHP/MySQL. I personally have found it to work the best for me as it
includes lots of features out of the box and an easy theme system.

http://simplemachines.org/

Try out the RC of 1.1 for some even nicer new features like AJAX editing
and enhanced search functions.

-Mark

P.S. I own a license of vBulletin. In my opinion it's not worth it for
the money. Now if only I had known about SMF before buying vBulletin... :=

--=20
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)