Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:08:27 -0500
From:      "Alfred Perlstein" <perlsta@sunyit.edu>
To:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   cd player?

this is kinda weird, but the only way i can play cd's in my drive is to use
XCD,
xcdplayer,cdcontrol, and kscd don't seem to work... when i press play they
don't really do anything...
they can see the songs and get info off the CD, but they won't play the
cd... for some reason i think that the programs think that the cd is
ejected because kscd flashes that in its status window...

i'm interested for several reasons, first cause i don't like xcd :), second
because if there is a driver problem and not a software problem i'd like to
help, can anyone tell me how i can trace the ioctls calls on the cdrom?

i tell xcd to use /dev/wcd0c
and i hex edited "kscd" to use it too cause it wanted /dev/rcd0c but it's
still won't play my cds

i noticed a lot of talk about ATAPI changes in the source code recently, is
-stable as up to date as -current in that aspect?

the cdrom is a 24x IDE-ATAPI Samsung

relevant dmesg output:
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <SAMSUNG CD-ROM SCR-2431/1.02>, removable, intr, dma,
iordy
wcd0: 687/3445Kb/sec, 382Kb cache, audio play, 255 volume levels, ejectable
tray
wcd0: medium type unknown, unlocked

whenever i use kscd i get the kernel outputting this about

i'm getting a lot of debug messages from cdcontrol (which spontaniously
decided to start working) from the ATAPI driver....

also somehow i wedged the device by running two cdplayers at the same
time....

can i do anything helpful here?

-Alfred