Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:44:24 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Kresimir Kumericki <kkumer@phy.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why do I have lib*_p.a?

Kresimir Kumericki wrote:

>    I was under impression that lib*_p.a libraries are "profiled"
> libraries that should not be built if NOPROFILE=true is
> specified in /etc/make.conf. I have uncommented this line but
> after make world I still have lots of _p.a libraries in
> /usr/lib. What have I got wrong?

Are they not just old copies? ls -l /usr/lib and see if the dates match
up, or whether the _p is much older, from a previous build/install.

>    And while I'm at it, what about .a and .so libs. Again, I
> seem to remember that .a are aout and .so elf libs.

ben@magnesium:~$ file /usr/lib/libc.{a,so,so.3}
/usr/lib/libc.a:    current ar archive
/usr/lib/libc.so:   symbolic link to libc.so.3
/usr/lib/libc.so.3: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), not stripped

nope.  All files are needed, aout libs should be in /usr/lib/aout.

> Does any of FreeBSD programs still use aout libs?

I think the FreeBSD native Netscape binaries are *still* a.out, despite
the fact we're now in the second major release cycle (3.x and 4.x) which
have used ELF binaries as default.  You might have some old stuff in
/usr/local which is a.out, so I wouldn't get rid of a.out stuff yet.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D