Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:52:01 +0100
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: users mounting filesystems

> > AFAIK in Linux one can add the "user" mount option in /etc/fstab
> > and any user can then mount that filesystem (not until I put in the
> > nosuid,nodev,noexec,etc.. options to limit their use)
>
> > I'm aware it's a potential security risk, but is there any clean
> > way of giving a user the ability to mount an msdos floppy for example..
> >
> > in the previous discussions, amd, sudo and some other methods were
> > offered..
>
> I use sudo to give some experienced users (e.g. username expert) the
> ability to mount/umount. For convenience, I set aliases in /etc/profile
> and /etc/csh.login:
>
> if [ "$USER" = expert ]; then
>   alias mount='/usr/local/bin/sudo /sbin/mount'
>   alias umount='/usr/local/bin/sudo /sbin/umount'
> fi

Hmm..doing this means that they have access to mount/unmount
any filesystem they want to (plus override any options in /etc/fstab),
which is not what I want when they only need to be able to mount a msdos
floppy disk for example..

..as I mentioned above, Linux has a "user" mount option which can be
used
on specified filesystems in /etc/fstab, perhaps BSD could have something
similar or is there a better way to do this ?

- Cillian