Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 18:54:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sig 11 on make world (just a query, not a problem report...)

Hi...

	I'm trying to make world on my -current box after getting
the new vm code/kernel installed, and got a sig 11 (big surprise? NAWT!),
but I've tried to enable debugging (-g) so that I could at least see
where the problem was happening, and get:

freebsd# make depend
cc -g -DSHELL -I. -I/usr/src/bin/sh    -static /usr/src/bin/sh/mknodes.c -o mknodes
./mknodes /usr/src/bin/sh/nodetypes /usr/src/bin/sh/nodes.c.pat
*** Signal 11

Stop.
freebsd# gdb mknodes mknodes.core
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...

"/usr/src/bin/sh/mknodes.core" is not a core dump: File format not recognized
(gdb)

	But:

freebsd# file mknodes.core
mknodes.core: i386 a.out core file

	Even if its a hardware related problem, shouldn't I be able to
look at the core file?

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org