Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:11:07 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: You tell me...

>As hitman.jack@djo.com wrote:
>
>> Well, i NOW have freebsd 3.0 and was installing it with boot.flp for 3.0
>> as i should, and while i boted from the floppy it did its thing, and
>> when it got to the end of decompressing the kernel, instead of going
>> into the setup menu ( ive done it with 2.1.7 ) it does some weird stuff
>> with the monitor.  I have a VGA monitor, and a super VGA card on my
>> cyrix686 with 8 megs of ram.  Well, it just shows a bunch of colorful
>>  vertical lines spaced about a quarter of an inch apart, like it might
>> be a conflict with the SVGA and only a VGA monitor, i dunno though.
>
>Søren, i've heard this from other people as well, somebody locally
>told me about a Hercules Stringray card where this happens.  Usenet
>recommends pcvt as a workaround :-], do you have an idea what this
>might be, or even better, have a fix?

I've seen some weird things with three different Hercules Stingray (PCI)
cards (two with ARK chipsets, and one with an Avance Logic chipset) on
FreeBSD.  I saw the problems (similar to what is described here) after
running XFree86 (doesn't matter which server -- Mono, VGA16, SVGA, or
even one not appropriate for the card).  There seems to be a problem
when it goes back to text mode.  Using the same cards under Linux didn't
show any problems like this.  I haven't tried the pcvt driver yet, but
it looks like I should to see if it makes any difference.

I have never tried installing FreeBSD with one of these cards installed.

David