Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 01:11:30 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.0-RELEASE ISO and XDM authentication failure

Hi-

I downloaded the 4.0 iso image and installed it on my Sony 505TR.
It went quite well.  The only odd thing I had to do was ifconfig
ep0 up  when trying to get at the cdrom via nfs.

The machine is nearly back to functional.  There was one thing that
surprised me and I hadn't noticed this in the RC series was that
xdm is trying to use XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 by default and it failed
miserably.  I install XFree86 from within sysinstall (not the package).
I had to add an entry:

DisplayManager._0.authName:	MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1

otherwise, I couldn't login ... I suppose that I could actually
shoot for tougher security on xdm, but I have never had this happen
to me before.

Not sure what happened.