Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 22:44:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Marc Wandschneider <MarcW@Lanfear.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: POP for FreeBSD ?

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Marc Wandschneider wrote:

> 	Hope this isn't too blatant an FAQ, but I will be setting up
> SendMail on my FreeBSD machine in the near future, and was wondering if
> Sendmail supports POP right out of the box, or if I have to install some
> sort of POP3 software?

You need a pop3 server. There are several choices. Qpopper, the most
common, will do just fine (/usr/ports/mail/popper/). Extra help and the
latest beta if you prefer the bleeding edge of technology can be found at
http://eudora.qualcomm.com/free/servers.html.

> 	Anything else I'd want to know about setting up a mail server?
> It'll be used by Windows clients using Outlook (Express).

I have a lot of problems with sendmail, qpopper and MS Outlook clients
and, guess what, all the problems can be traced back to broken outlook
clients, clueless lusers or me messing with the servers... Everything else
you need to know is probably in the book.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000