Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2002 11:11:32 -0600
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>, "Mike Hogsett" <hogsett@csl.sri.com>, "mike" <mike@unixhideout.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More then 4 IDE devices in one FreeBSD server.

At 11:49 AM 12.4.2002 -0500, Doug Reynolds wrote:
>On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 20:12:47 -0800, Mike Hogsett wrote:
>

>>Can't you just go down into /dev and do :
>>

>>./MAKEDEV ad4 ad5 ad6 ad7
>>
>>and gain access to the 4 drives on a second (supported) IDE controller?
>
>I know i did that when i installed a promise ATA66&100 addon card..  I
>had to make ad4 5 6 7
>
>although i only had 1 drive and two cdroms on the mobo controller
>
>---
>doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

Yes, with RAID enabled on the MB, then it wants ad4 as first device and up
as far as FBSD is concerned. Using the ATA enable only (and not the RAID)
then it is not activated... at least on my MB with a Promise ATA100/RAID.
The MB uses jumpers for each of these.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator