Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 15:13:29 +0800
From:      adrian@freebsd.org
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Markus Stumpf <maex-freebsd-hackers@Space.Net>
Subject:   Re: squid and FreeBSD (was: Re: Nice FreeBSD mention)

Matthew Dillon writes:

>:"top" says
>:
>:  PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
>: 8542 root      2 -15   204M   177M select  60:27  0.00%  0.00% squid
>:
>:>From that point I would imagine that 256 MB RAM is enough to fit in
>:squid and - with about 50 megs left - some other processes.
>
>    I'm not familiar with squid.  Why is it eating 204M of VM?  If that
>    is programmable, simply reduce it to 150M.
>
>    FreeBSD can't give over all of its physical memory to a process.  It
>    needs memory for kernel buffers and file caching.  It *especially*
>    needs memory for kernel buffers in a network-heavy setup.
>
>    Turning off swap in this case will cause the machine to lockup when
>    it runs out of memory -- probably not what you want.

Drop your cache_mem to something really small if possible. Let the OS do the
file buffering and you'll find it should swap less.

If squid starts complaining the cache_mem is way way too small, its time for
FreeBSD is probably paging out unused pages in squid, and since most of squids
footprint will be the cache object database, on a busy squid it will result
in lots of pageins, causing degraded performance.

Adrian