Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 08:33:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        ulf@lamb.net, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about networks

> Quoth Ulf Zimmermann on Tue, 8 October:
> : Regardless of the speed to my uplink provider, they want to charge
> : $100/month per class C network.
>
> That would be more than reasonable in the current market where I live.

Is that to route your own address space, or for them to delegate you a
chunk of their address space?  (The difference is subtle from a certain
point of view).

I get my address space from InterNIC, because I plan for the worst and I
"expect" to have to switch connectivity providers in the future (well, I
really do NOT want to, quite happy, but nonetheless I plan ahead for the
worst case)...  or if I become multihomed, which is not necessarily
unlikely.

> : Or for routing of a /19 CIDR block
> : they want $4000/month for it plus the charge for the IP providing.
>
> : What do you think of this ?
>
> I think that if you send me their domain, I'll filter all their traffic.
> Routing must be free to everyone, or there is no Internet and we can

Routing, yes, delegation of address space, I want to say yes too, but it
is "hard" for an ISP to get address space, and some may pass this on to
the customer in the form of a charge.

> all go home.  Soon I expect to see virtualization ISPs start up, which
> will provide tunnel routes through hostile providers such as you
> describe, thus decoupling the address space provision from uplink
> provision.

This is already being done...  well I don't know if anyone is doing it as
a "virtual ISP" but I know of an organization that has a T1 Internet
connection at their central office, doesn't want to pay for dedicated
lines to faraway branch offices, so they buy "cheaper" single IP PPP or
SLIP accounts with local ISP's.  Then they tunnel their internal networks
over to the remote office, encrypted, la da da...  it even appears to them
as a single network behind their firewall, very nice if you want that sort
of centralization.

... JG