Date:      Tue, 07 Jul 1998 15:01:46 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Old EGA Video Card & Monitor

Hi!

Still not got FreeBSD Installed. :-(

I'm trying to get the hardware together, it's kind of difficult when
your budget doesn't reach 3 figures! :)

At the moment I've got a Gateway 2000 3 year old P5-90 (90 MHz Pentium
non-MMX) with 16 MB EDO RAM. So what I did is I took the floppy drive,
video card and monitor (EGA) from a very old 286.

The trouble is that now when I turn the system on, it seems to recognise
the floppy drive, but then it just stops. No "Please insert system disk"
style message. If I press F1 to enter the BIOS setup utility, then a
message pops up saying "Entering Setup.....", but then the machine stops
again before reaching the setup program.

Basically I'm wondering if a 7/8 year old EGA video card is OK in a
relatively new PC? It's displaying text OK, but something is preventing
the machine from completing it's POST checks. I'm going to try swapping
around floppy drives and monitors/video cards from another machine to
see if I can work out what's broken.

Does anybody have any comments on what I'm trying to do? Are there any
reasons why the old card or floppy drive can't work?

Thanks!!

P.S. Please e-mail answers back to me directly and CC to the list. Mind
you, you guys probably do this anyway.

--
Andrew Boothman <andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk>
http://www.boothman.easynet.co.uk/andrew/