Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 1996 19:35:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        doug@carbine.holster.demos.com (Douglas Jackson)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem debugging.

Douglas Jackson writes:

> I'm having trouble dialing in to my system.  It's 2.1-RELEASE.
>
> I've an internal modem, which i've configured for auto-answer, according to the
> handbook.  It does answer, and the modem on the calling end announces a 14400,
> reliable connection.
>
> The system signs on, and I can enter my login name, which echos to me.
> Then the password: prompt appears.  I can type anything, including cr, and nothing
> happens, not even a login failure.  Pressing ^j gives login failure, even with
> a good password.
>
> If I "tip /dev/modem", and then dial in, everything connects, and I can type
> end-to-end with no troubles.
>
> I'm running rc.serial, with a "modem 3" statement.
>
> Any tips will be appreciated.

As you obviously suspect, the first place to look is at the control
character settings.  While you're trying to enter the password, do a

  stty -f /dev/modem -a

from another terminal and check what it shows.  Probably the
information will tell you what the problem is--otherwise let me know
and I'll try to guess.

Greg