Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 11:02:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Console messages

Bill Sandiford wrote:

> The following message comes up every time someone makes an inetd type
> connection to my box (ftp, telnet, popper, etc.) and I don't know why, or
> how to stop it.  Help would be appreciated.
>
> Nov 28 10:53:25 duey inetd[20538]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'
>
> This is fairly annoying as it makes the console unusable.  How do I fix
> this?

It's always a good idea to check the mailing list archives and/or the
FreeBSD web pages before posting a question to the list; they're located at
`http://WWW.FreeBSD.ORG/search.html'.

By entering `login.conf' in the mailing-list search box, ensuring that the
`questions' button was selected, and pressing the `Submit Query' button,
you'd have found countless answers to your question, since this particular
question has been posted countless times since 2.2.2-RELEASE came out.
Searching the FreeBSD web pages would've done the trick, too, pointing you
to `http://www.freebsd.org/releases/2.2.2R/errata.html'.

That errata document contains the solution to your problem.  Here's a direct
quote:

Last minute errata:
-------------------

o login as root produces "login_getclass: unknown class 'root'" on system
  console.

Fix:  If you have the source distribution installed, simply
      cp /usr/src/etc/login.conf /etc
      otherwise, get it from the FreeBSD FTP site using this URL:
      ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/etc/login.conf
      instead.  Simply cd to /etc and then run fetch(1) with the provided URL.

-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
Do not underestimate the value of print statements for debugging.
Don't have aesthetic convulsions when using them, either.