Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 08:15:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: addendum to How do you get crack to compile?

crack is not highly illegal on free source OS's like FreeBSD, NetBSD or
anything that you have the source to the encryption algorithm anyway, this
was meant to impose greater penalties for crackers and "hackers" that are
malevolent. I read the text of the bill, the one Revised and dubbed
"Digital Millennium" and it did not seem all that bad, in fact in some
sense it was rather comforting, it did not say that finding security holes
was illegal, it said that doing so against a company by selling reverse
engineered work, and therefor violating copyrights was. The law was a
copyright law, one meant for warez , etc.

How this affects my personal hobby of encoding music on mp3....

well I cannot distribute it for profit =) not like I was anyway =)

Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
Systems Administrator					Rush Networking