Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:27:50 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Kevin Bogac <k_bogac@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Don Read <dread@calcasieu.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about the mascot

It is really amazing all the misrepresentations being tossed around
on this thread.  To date, NO ONE has even suggested the mascot be
changed, let alone tried to gather support to attempt to force a
change, blah, blah, blah.  As to your charge of intolerance and
inflexibility, it would appear your finger is pointing in the wrong
direction.

So far the ONLY THING that has been suggested by those of us on the
"anti-devil" side is that in addition to the current promotional
materials which all prominently feature the "cute little devil", we
would like to also have some available without his image.  I.e. an
increase in flexibility and tolerance for all.  But judging solely
from the (sometimes vitriolic) responses to date, there is not enough
flexibility and tolerance here to allow for this.

Further, there have been NO posts to this thread saying that anyone
has found the mascot so disturbing they have decided against FreeBSD,
though I can imagine that it has happened somewhere.  Probably those
people never got far enough to even discover the existence of this
list.

What has been said, once again, is that a few of us who really believe
in BSD have chosen not to display the promotional materials due to the
unfortunate choice of mascot and the misunderstandings it can cause in
the BSD-challenged, though we would really love to do our part to
promote the OS.  Oh, and also that someone who is new on the block
wants to know why the devil is our mascot.  Yes, there are footnotes to
obscure history to explain this to the offended, but how many of the
offended do you suppose actually get that far?

How about we stop putting words in other people's mouths and stick
to the question of how best to promote FreeBSD to the world at large,
a world with a variety of cultures?

-Mitch