Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 2009 08:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      James Phillips <anti_spam256@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Voting for a native i386/amd64 flash player

=0A=0A=0A> ------------------------------=0A> =0A> Message: 9=0A> Date: Sat=
, 3 Oct 2009 06:28:29 +0100=0A> From: "Lucian @ lastdot.org" <lucian@lastdo=
t.org>=0A> Subject: Re: Voting for a native i386/amd64 flash player=0A> To:=
 freebsd-questions@freebsd.org=0A> Message-ID:=0A> =A0=A0=A0 <5a3c8f4509100=
22228k3c196b6ay1acc3031716d673d@mail.gmail.com>=0A> Content-Type: text/plai=
n; charset=3DISO-8859-1=0A> =0A<SNIP!>=0A> =0A> Better pray for Theora's ma=
ss adoption on streaming sites=0A> :-)=0A> =0A=0AI have this fantasy that i=
f I design and build a better streaming video format, "They" (broadcasters)=
 will use it, if properly marketed.=0A=0AThis would be despite the lack of =
"strong" DRM or license terms (GPL v3 is OK, right?). The idea is I build a=
 "public version", then sell a custom "corporate version" that is buzz-word=
 certified with whatever standards they want (except "strong" DRM; incompat=
ible with the license) for ~$30,000 a seat, or some volume [del]license[del=
] purchasing agreement. =0A =0A=0AI got the idea when I realized that the c=
urrent formats used by broadcasters suck. Most are based on MPEG that had s=
ome processing constraints no longer present (to the same extent) on modern=
 computers. =0AGeneral idea:=0A1. Do away with the outdated concept of "liv=
e". There is always a delay. Make the delay predictable and visible to the =
user by sychronizing clocks with NTP. A "live" broadcast would have a calib=
rated delay ranging from seconds to minutes. "pre-recorded" would be minute=
s to centuries.=0A2. Modify Bittorrent  protocol for Steaming media. There =
is already (incompatible) work in this area.=0A3a. Separate "Lossy Compress=
ion" from "Lossless Compression". This will result in a variable bit-rate s=
tream. I came up with a (fast) transform so that the lossless compression s=
tores only the changes between (key) frames.=0A3b. Optional "Variable frame=
-rate" stream: new frame only needed after a certain percentage of the scen=
e changes.=0A4. Publishers are authenticated with a Public-key infrastructu=
re=0A5. For UDP or Broadcast, a format variant tolerates data loss with gra=
ceful degradation.=0A=0AMain stumbling blocks:=0A1. trying to do too much a=
t once: file format and protocol rolled into one.=0A2. For interoperability=
, I need to stabilize key points of the spec before publication. Currently =
struggling with date stamps (taking into account leap seconds) (mostly reso=
lved), and a transform to allow the publisher to be authenticated even if s=
ome data is missing.=0A3. Because my idea is variable data-rate, I can't pr=
edict what "real-world" compression will be. need to do testing. As compres=
sion may be affected my MPEG artifacts, need to test with my own "raw" vide=
o. (Loss-less conversion from MPEG would be possible.)=0A4. A dual-license =
may quickly result in a fork that implements "features" I really don't want=
 to see. (Read: anything deliberately incompatible.)=0A5. I seem to be pre-=
occupied with the video compression, ignoring sound.=0A=0ARegards,=0A=0AJam=
es Phillips=0A=0APS: was this too off-topic?=0A=0A=0A______________________=