Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 08:37:20 +0200
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@cs.uni-sb.de>
To:        Arve Ronning <arve.ronning@ah.telia.no>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B & NAT

Arve Ronning wrote:

> Trying to build a router/gateway between my privat Ethernet and
> the Internet (via my ISP), I have problems with I4B or NAT (I think:).
>
> The 2.2.5-R kernel with options IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT works fine
> with ISDN4BSD 0.50-alpha and firewall rule 'pass all from any to any'.
> However, when I add 'divert natd all from any to any via isppp0'
> and start natd, name server lookups to the ISP's NS don't work.
>
> Also, ping and nslookup fails from any other internal host.
I had exactly the same problems. natd doesn't seem to get a message if
the IP address of the interface changes (after successful dialout).
I have to manually send a HUP signal to natd. I do this via the following
(ugly?!) hack:

I added the following two lines to the system section of isdnd.rc:
regexpr         = "call active"         # look for matches in log messages
regprog         = hup_natd              # execute program whan match is found

The small script "hup_natd", located in /etc/isdn, looks like:
#!/bin/sh
pid=`cat /var/run/natd.pid`
kill -HUP $pid
sleep 3
kill -HUP $pid
sleep 5
kill -HUP $pid

It looks ugly, but at least for me it works. The two sleeps are necessary
since
I have to wait for ppp negotiation to complete (I don't get a message from
isdnd
for that). If I'm lucky I have my connection after 3 seconds, but 8 seconds
should suffice for worst case (the first HUP without a sleep sometimes even
succeeded on an slow 486/33 with 8MB RAM, more HUPs don't hurt).

I'm really interested in some more elegant method.

Daniel