Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:35:17 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Jacques Vidrine <nectar@NECTAR.COM>
Cc:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>, "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Out of Box experience (Was: Re: How is selection made of what goes into CDrom?)

> Only KDE depends upon Qt, which doesn't have an appropriate software
> license.

Oh, I dunno about this.  I think that people should be willing to be
just a bit more flexible where these sorts of "use it for something
free, get it free - use it for something commercial, pay some money"
licenses are concerned since it takes a high degree of flexibility for
any company to even *think* about doing something like this.  It's
also fairly clear that getting other companies to adopt similarly
free-software friendly licenses like this, giving access to their full
source code on the net (!) as TrollTech does, won't be made any easier
if the free software people themselves react negatively to the idea
and adopt a strict no-compromise policy.  If anything is going to
result in any real changes in this industry, it's going to be a
willingness to compromise on *both* sides of the licensing issue so
that neither "side" feels that the other is trying to force their
ideologies on it at gunpoint.

I like the Qt copyright and wish Trolltech every degree of success
with it.  I'd like to see a lot more of that kind of thing in the
industry, frankly.

					Jordan