Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:46:37 +1100
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@cqit.qld.edu.au>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATAPI driver in Install disk

Hi,
Not to sure if this is a bug or not, but it's damned annoying so maybe
it is.
I have just purchased the 2.1.5-RELEASE, and am trying to install it
on a 1.3Gb SCSI , Pentium 120, with an ATAPI (Hithaci) CD-ROM drive.
The boot.flp disk simply does not recognise it as an atapi drive. I have
a room full of similar systems here at the college, with Mitsumi ATAPI
drives
in them. Same problem. I have tried all releases of the boot.flp, and
even
tried the atapi.flp disk from an early release. No go.

However.... I also have the SNAPSHOT 2.2 disk, labled 5/1/96 and I
notice that
when the install probing is going on, it now actually says that it has
found an
(atapi) drive, and displays all its relevant information. It then of
course uses
the cd and installs no problem.

So in short, the install disk (boot.flp) with the May.1st. SNAPSHOT
works fine
but none of the others do, even though the documentation would indicate
that
they should.
I have read where you say that atapi is beta only, but I didn't expect
that it
was so beta that it didn't work at all :-)

I'll use the snapshot install disk on the 2.1.5-release, changing the
install
path, but it must be driving others mad who don't have access to both
copies!

Interestingly, I booted from a '95 DOS startup, with atapi running, and
could
then switch to the CD, and type install(.bat). Trouble is, after that,
it couldn't
find the CD, so that was not an option anyway!

Anyway, as I said, it looks like something that needs fixing. It must be
costing
big bucks in disgruntled users.

cheers,
Bob