Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:11:34 -0300
From:      AT Matik <asstec@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop suggestions?

On Thursday 31 July 2008 06:17:54 Achim Patzner wrote:
> Am 31.07.2008 um 02:45 schrieb Carlos A. M. dos Santos:
> > On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Achim Patzner <ap@bnc.net> wrote:
> >> I tried to break that habit more than once
> >> but right now the only comfortable way of running FreeBSD on a laptop
> >> is VMware Fusion on a Mac. Reading this entire thread convinced me
> >> even more.
> >
> > Please define "comfortable".
>
> You just did so:
> > I never attempted to use neither Bluetooth nor the fingerprint reader
> > [...] the memory card
> > reader does not work. I also ran 8.0-CURRENT on a HP 6910p because 7.0
> > did not support the WI-FI card.
>
> Great Lord. I just opened the box, turned the machine on and - after
> waiting
> fo about a few minutes - just began using it. Drivers? Who cares. Serial
> port? Just plug in an USB-to-serial. Getting X to run on the *censored*
> *even more censorship*? No problem, it's even launching itself should I
> really need it. Camera? Built-in. Unix that feels like FreeBSD? Built-
> in.
> HSDPA? Just connect the USB modem or plug in the Merlin XU.
>
> NO FUCKING INTEL STICKERS TO PEEL OFF. PRICELESS.

guys ... seems most of you are seeing a laptop for the first time of your=20
life, I am impressed

so long as you ignore FreeBSD's almost-disability to resume from suspend it=
=20
runs on all notes I got in my hands over the last years up to now with 7, a=
nd=20
runs fine, often much better  on cheap pieces (faster and longer bat life)=
=20
than on some 1500-bucks-wonder-bonder-books

and Jee, this sticker, man, hot!, intel, orange or bsd-whatever are really=
=20
important, I agree ... first things first - and you could stick them on the=
=20
screen to see them all the time

Jo=E3o