Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 22:52:14 +0000
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

Karl Denninger wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 04, 1998 at 02:07:29PM +0000, John Kelly wrote:

> > >This is a complete waste of time.  I've already told you - if you have
> > >a problem with the way funding is allocated then simply don't donate
> > >funds, it's very simple.  Can we get back to work now?
> > >
> > >                                     Jordan
> >
> > Keeping my money is one of the easiest things I can do.
> >
> > If you can't see the value of meaningful donor incentives, someone
> > else will.
>
> Bingo.
>
> MCSNet could make a reasonably-sized donation to this cause (few thousand
> bucks) and would have no problem with doing so.  In fact, if we had some
> idea what that incremental funding would do, I could make the business case
> to be significantly more generous.  Simply put, money ain't the issue.
>
> The issue is that there are certain things that we really *NEED* fixed, and
> to stay as priorities in remaining fixed as time goes on (things that used
> to work, and are now broken for example - specifically, NFS issues for one,
> and behavior under troublesome SCSI conditions [ie: returns of a defective
> block from the controller] for another).  I'm running kernels and OSs
> patched up from November, specifically because since then the stability of
> -CURRENT is bad enough from both direct observation and reports that if
> the risks grossly outweigh the rewards of trying to roll an upgrade
> through the network right now.
>
> If I fund the *breakage* of something critical to us, I'm shooting myself
> in the foot.  That's unwise.
>
> I understand that Jordan and the rest of the core team have their own
> priorities.  They sometimes don't mesh with mine.  Ok, good and well.  I
> work around what I can, patch around what I can't work around, and remain
> a few rev levels back if necessary in certain areas.  That level of choice
> is one of the nicities of a free operating system environment with source
> code in a CVS tree.
>
> But for me to justify shaking loose the money on the tree, I need to be able
> to show benefit.  That's just business - its not personal in any way.
>
> --
> --
> Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
> http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
>                              | NEW! K56Flex support on ALL modems
> Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| EXCLUSIVE NEW FEATURE ON ALL PERSONAL ACCOUNTS
> Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | *SPAMBLOCK* Technology now included at no cost

I have to agree with both sides of this issue.  Let me explain.

I believe Jordan's no-strings stand is an absolute necessity for ANY
free software non-profit organization that wants to succeed.  I believe
there are enough folks who contribute freely without being compensated
because they enjoy doing so, and I believe many of these same folks
would loose motivation to contribute if donations with strings became
the norm.

Now I must agree with Karl that for a business (I use FreeBSD where I
work too), contributing money WITH strings attached works best for the
business and is the best way to encourage larger business donations.

So how would I reconcile these two conflicting interests?  Simply.  Keep
the status quo as far as donations to FreeBSD, Inc., but for ANY and ALL
businesses who want specific projects undertaken, get busy and SOLICIT
support from OTHER businesses, get together, and FUND development on
your project independently, then contribute your work back to FreeBSD if
you really believe in the free software model.  Otherwise, found another
BSDI.

Aaron out.