Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:38:57 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Nick H." <nickh@supportteam.net>
Cc:        "Maxime Henrion" <mux@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet (xl) will not transmit or receive

> From: "Nick H." <nickh@supportteam.net>
> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:33:21 -0600
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I am absolutely sure, as its on a completely fresh system.
>
> ipf: IP Filter: v3.4.29 (336)
> Kernel: IP Filter: v3.4.29

This may be a different problem from mine. I do not use IPFILTER.

It is possible that it is triggered by different things. In my case I
can confirm that NO packets were ether sent or received. IF it is
happening with several different cards, I might start to suspect an mii
problem. That would fit the symptoms pretty well. (I think all of the
referenced interfaces use mii.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)