Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:03:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

> I have to agree with Amancio.  Otherwise how are we to determine if
> cvsup8 is worth our time?  I personally will not be switching to it until
> I can determine it is a better path for me.
>
> Possibly, being ping'able should be be a requirement to being a CVSup
> mirror.

I don't know ... I think it might be a good idea for the cvsup client to
make a connection to a cvsup master, get redirected from that master to
the actual handler of the connection, and then work.  That way, a config
file on the master could be set up to know the capabilities of the other
machines (network availability, machine speed, etc) and dole out
connections weighted on that.  If a new machine comes on line, no one
really needs to know about it except whoever does the config file for the
master.

Any slave machine, when connected, if it was overloaded, could send the
client back to the master with a packet telling the master of the slave's
overload condition.  A little cryptography would make that hard to cheat
on.  That way, the master could stay updated on the various slaves
conditions (to react to overload).

This would need, tho, new clients that would be able to receive a
redirection, to work.  And, obviously a new master.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.