Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 17:29:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Byung Yang <freebsd@nowcool.dhs.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   snd0 & pcm0

What's the status on the newpcm? is it still broken?
When I use newpcm, these problems occur:
1. when I use waveplay to play a file, even after it completely plays the
file (and return to the shell prompt), I still hear about 1-2 seconds of
sound playing repeatedly.
2. when I use xmms or mpg123, it plays the first file ok, and when I press
the stop button and play another, sound applications freeze.
3. when using mtv, sound doesn't work and freezes all sound apps.

When using snd0, I have access to all sound apps but
when I play mp3 files using any mp3 players, I hear the first 2-3 min fine
and then I start hearing statics (nasty statics that don't go away until i
press "pause" and play "start" again.)

Any reference pages for the answers to these problems? or anybody knows
this?

FreeBSD nowcool.dhs.org 4.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Dec  2
00:35:27 EST 1999     byung@nowcool.dhs.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/NOWCOOL
i386

that's when I supped and my snd configurations look like:

# for snd0, I use following four lines.
controller      snd0
device css0     at isa? port 0x534 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x08
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
device mpu0     at isa? port 0x330 irq 6 drq 0

# for newpcm, I use following lines
options         PNPBIOS
controller      pnp0                    # PnP support for ISA
device pcm0

any clues would be appreciated
thanks