Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 06:22:52 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help! I need info on pthreads.

> > I have suddenly been informed that I must convert a significant
> > piece of code to use pthreads.  Since FreeBSD will be one of my
> > test vehicles I need to know if the libc_r library under 2.1-stable
> > and/or current is working.
>
> 2.2-current only. It works for me. If it doesn't work for _you_, let
> me know. Watch out for libc functions that aren't re-entrant, though.

You mean watch out for libc functions that aren't MT-safe. There's a big
difference between being MT-safe and being reentrant. Reentrant means
the function can be called in a signal handler, usually limited to system
calls. MT-safe means the function can be called by more than one thread
at a time. On other systems with threads there are MT-safe functions that
aren't reentrant.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY