Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:24:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would this make FreeBSD more secure?

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :
> :It is easy to say that things don't have to run as root, but for many of
> :them that just isn't true without losing functionality.
> :
> :If sendmail doesn't run as root, you can't deliver user mail to programs.
>
>     What, that's it ?  That's the only thing holding back being able to
>     move sendmail out of root?

No, there are some other reasons as well.  Please read the archives.
This stuff has been gone through over and over, and the reasons why
various things are as they are have been gone over and over.  Lots of
people have said "oh, that is silly, I don't need that". No one has done
anything.

[...]
>     There shouldn't even be a discussion here.  It should simply be fixed.

I would be VERY upset if you just magically "fixed" the default sendmail
setup on FreeBSD, without any discussion, so that all my mail suddenly
started bouncing because sendmail couldn't run procmail to filter my mail.