Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:36:11 -0700
From:      Eric Pretorious <eric@pretorious.net>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu>
Cc:        scottl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_10?

On Monday 25 April 2005 07:13 pm, Ken Smith wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:12:19AM -0700, Eric Pretorious wrote:
>> Is it still possible to maintain a 4.10 installation? (This subject isn't
>> addressed directly in The Handbook.)
>
>Due to the size of the main FTP site we have needed to trim down on
>how many of the full package sets we keep online.  The precompiled
>packages from the 4.10 release are one of the ones taken off the
>main mirror sites.

Hm. This concerns me: What are the long-term prospects for systems built using
packages?

>At this point you can only do a basic install of 4.10 and then build
>up from that after the initial reboot.  Once it's up and running you
>can do one of:
>
>	- Build your own ports from /usr/ports using the normal
>	  procedures for building them yourself.  This might not
>	  be completely successful - some of the downloads that
>	  are needed for that old an ports tree might not be available
>	  any more.
>	- Better, update /usr/ports using cvsup and do the builds from
>	  that.  You'll get more current versions of things (and there
>	  have been security related fixes to many ports that are worth
>	  getting).
>	- If you really want to use pre-compiled packages (see above
>	  comment saying many packages have had important security
>	  fixes - the precompiled packages won't have those fixes)
>	  are still available on the ftp-archive.freebsd.org site.
>	  would have the 4.10 release package set on it.

Thanks. After installing the ports tree from the installation CD (Release #5)
and attempting to build two ports (isc-dhcp3-server & cvsup-without-gui) that
both failed, I gave up on 4.10 and installed 4.11. I'm concerned about the
long-term maintainability of this system though (because it was built using
packages instead of ports). What can I do to extend the life of this
installation?

Thanks again!

--
Eric P.,