Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 21:04:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft brainrot (was: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf)

On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Wes Peters wrote:
 % How many of the following features does Lynx currently support?
 %
 %  [ ] HTML 2.0 Forms.
 %
 %  [ ] Secure document communication via SSL.
 %
 %  [ ] Local server communication via a UNIX-domain socket.

Bryan K. Ogawa writes:
 > 1 is the radiobuttion/checkbox/dropdown list/textarea <FORM></FORM>
 > thingy, right?

Yup.

 > I'm pretty sure that Lynx does 1 and 2 already, and can be easily
 > hacked to do 3 (it has a mode that lets you run local code as a cgi,
 > which means that Unix-domain sockets should only be a few lines of
 > code away).

I thought Lynx supported forms.  SSL I'm not certain of, and UNIX-
domain sockets was a long shot.  Of course, the Usockets would be the
easiest to hack in (probably).

 > Table support is still horrid, and frames are somewhat annoying (but
 > they work -- you can navigate them, but you only see 1 frame at a
 > time).

You can easily do a good forms interface without frames, and sort of do
a forms interface without tables.  We can also put out variant
documents, so we send the "pretty" ones to Netscape et al, and the
simple ones to "simple" browsers like Lynx.  This inevitably leads to
"who doesn't your server recognize XyzzySurfer as a Java-enabled, forms-
processing monster?" but we don't have to be perfect, just reasonably
good.  ;^)  Plus, *I* wouldn't plan to develop the pretty forms myself,
this falls in the category of embellishments.