Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 16:43:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root passwd

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Roman Katsnelson wrote:

> Eek! I forgot the root password!
>
> Well, actually I didn't forget it, I set it, but then the system sorta
> crashed and now it doesn't recognize it anymore. So I went to the FAQ
> and it said to do this:

Odd.  Are you sure you don't have the CAPS LOCK on?  (Hey, it's a question
I ask at least 10 times a day.)

> (boot up in single user mode)
>
> mount -u /
> passwd root
> mount -a
> exit
>
> i have two things about this:
>
> a)it doesn't work -- i get a "passwd not found" command -- anything I
> can do except reinstall from scratch? (full system from FTP -- i'd
> rather not :-)

You should also mount /usr if it's a separate filesystem to have access to
the passwd program.

# mount -u /
# mount /usr
# passwd root
Enter new password:
Enter password again:
# ^D

> and
>
> b) if it DOES work -- itsn't it a serious security issue that anyone
> with the access to the FAQ (which is every literate person in the
> world!) can get root password? i know that it's probably not, but i
> would just like to be explained WHY not, if possible.

This can only be done from the console (ie, AT THE COMPUTER.)